Why do they do this? There are many reasons including:
- They don’t think you are listening to them and want to be sure they are making their point
- They have developed the habit of over-speaking their point
- They are thinking with their mouth and ramble.
- They don’t know they are doing it because no one has pointed it out to them.
- The haven’t thought about how to send their message clearly and succinctly
To help other to get off the merry-go-round, try these simple ideas:
- Say their name. This will get their attention and give you some room for the next move.
- Repeat what you have heard their main point to be.
- Ask them if they have any additional information that would be helpful for you to know.
- If in a work place setting, identify clear communication as a value and encourage others to think through their idea before presenting it.
Rather than complaining about the person who is on the ‘Merry-Go-Round’, let’s help them. Everyone benefits. LISTENING PAYS!